Upselling is one of the easiest – yet overlooked – ways to increase your income significantly in your Home Party Plan Business. The term “upselling” means simply to add on additional products or services to a sure sale. The best part of upselling is that it is practically effortless, since the customer is already committed to the initial sale. By presenting additional “add on” type products in a relax, assumptive manner, you will increase the sale – and your income – quickly and easily. Here are the most important keys to Upselling success:
1. Know your Products – the more you know about your products, the more able you are to recommend products which will compliment each other. If you sell skin care for instance, a cleanser and moisturizer would be complimented by a toner, or a daytime product can be complimented with a night time product. In jewelry, a necklace and bracelet purchase might be complimented by earrings. With handbags, an add on might be a wallet or change purse. The list goes on and on.
2. Know your Customer – The more you know about her, the more you will know the products she would benefit from or be interested in. People have a tendency to “tell on themselves” the more they talk! This is a GOOD thing! Encourage the conversations and continue to ask questions.
3. Be specific and tell her WHY she needs it – Simply saying “Can I get you anything else” is most likely NOT going to get you an additional sale. However, specific questions “would you like a toner to go with that to complete the set?” or “This is a great product for daytime, and our nighttime product will help even while you sleep – would you like to get both?” will help your customer understand why she needs -and ultimately wants – the additional product.
4. Assume the customer already wants it – When offering an additional “add on” type product, always assume the customer already wants it, similar to “Do you want fries with that?” Because most Upsells are complimentary of the first item, it is somewhat of a “no brainer” that she would want the additional items as well.
5. Focus on the Customer’s needs, not yours – As much I am sure you want the sale, remember that ALL sales are more about taking care of the customers needs than your own. Do not try to sell a customer something you yourself would not want to have, or something that in reality, they do not NEED. Always sell with integrity – that will give you a lasting relationship with your customer – resulting in more sales over time.
The biggest mistake in Upselling is simply making no attempt for the sale. As a business owner, it is up to you to ask for the sale. Make asking for an Upsell part of the sales process – like second nature. Get the McDonald’s Mentality and always think “Do you want fries with that!?”